Wednesday, September 10, 2008

MS. SKINNER

So how many of you remember Ms. Skinner? Well, I do and I've run into her TWICE now at Costco. I don't know if she remembers me but I sure do remember her. Two memorable things happened in her class when I was in high school. Some of you may remember Chrissy Boyle's party where we went over to the park and played hide and seek and upon Sara Sorensen Patchett and I chasing the same hider we ran smack into each other. Sara suffered two slightly black eyes, a swollen nose and some damage to her two front teeth and I had a big black eye. It's actually really funny now but it sure did hurt then and I was embarassed to go to school the next day. Anyway, the next day Ms. Skinner pulled me out of class and asked if everything at home was ok. I know she was just being a good teacher but I couldn't believe that she thought maybe my parents caused the black eye, it was so awkward! That was the first memorable thing. The second was one day I was sitting in her class and the door to the hall was open. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the lesson because I noticed that there was a kid outside in the hall trying to get my attention. When he finally had it I realized he was making a gesture like his hair was exploding while at the same time saying POOF! I realized he was making fun of my curly hair which was pretty big. I was mortified. Anyway, these things are really of no importance but when I saw Ms. Skinner I got to thinking about them and I wondered if any of you have anything you remember about her or her class. Good times but I wouldn't want to go back!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA! I never had Ms. Skinner but I sure do appreciate those stories!

Britney and Jaron said...

How could anyone forget Ms. Skinner! I think she was one of the most feared teachers at Basic! I can't remember really any fond memories from her class because I know it was tough. I managed to get an A but her class was brutal! I haven't seen her in years but she did or does live down the street from my parents! Sorry about the "poof" story, I loved your hair curly! Aren't we so glad we are out of high school!

Hibbard Family said...

I'll never forget Ms. Skinner. I just always remember her talking about how she was in the army or navy and how we had it sooo easy. And she would sip on that coffee all class period! I think I skidded by with a D.... just happy that I was able to move on!!!

Kimby said...

Are you guys loving it over there? You are a lot closer to your family, right? It's a bummer you guys left when you did because Emma is just now getting to a fun age for play dates!

chelsea said...

Melissa, this is totally random but.. I was just going to see if you'd email me the instructions for the baby wipe's cases. They are so so cute! If it isn't too much of a hassle, you can send it to chelsers@mac.com

Thanks!

Jacob and Emily said...

hhahahaha I totally remember both of those stories! I can't stop laughing, those are classics! I remember cheating in her class and she announced to the class that "one of us will not be allowed to use a calculator because she entered in the formulas in it" and she was looking right at me! I turned around to see if she was looking at someone behind me and she said, "do I need to hold a mirror up for you?" I didn't know what to do so I just looked around like everyone else! That beast! Not that I was the most honest but seriously? I remember when Sara wrote I wish Ms. Skinner would die on her note book and then turned it in without erasing it! hhahaha Ms. Skinner called her up to the front and asked her if there was a problem! Hahahah Go Sara! Oh those were good 'ol days!

Kelli said...

Melissa, I found your blog through Amy Stoker's. It was so funny to go to your blog and remember Ms. Skinner. How could I forget! She pulled me aside twice and gave me lectures-something to the effect of "just because I was a girl, that didn't mean I couldn't get far in life. Although I was a girl, I could do anything any guy could do." I never told her that I wanted to be a stay at home mom. Anyway, it sounds like life is going great for you. Your little girl is adorable!!

Laura said...

That's great, Melissa! Ms. Skinner gave me my first and only detention. How could I forget her!! My dad has also ran into her at random places. :) P.S. You have the CUTEST little girl!!

Bean said...

you forgot the most important part- that she wanted to be called "Major Skinner"! ha. I can't stand to recall too many high school memories. Give me five more years, then maybe.
(this is Christina, by the way. I just found everyone's blogs- how fun!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa....so you probably don't remember me, and that is ok, but I went to high school with you until our junior year and then I moved back to Utah. I was on the basketball team.... ok anyway I just happened upon your blog and I was reading your Ms. Skinner post and I seriously started laughing out loud. I have some pretty crazy memories of that woman! My fav is when she showed up to my basketball game VERY drunk. LOL that was an interesting night. Well it's good to see you and your fabulously cute fam. Your little girl is adorable!

Dawnielle (Boudreaux) Haacke

Latest books

  • A Countess Below Stairs
  • Mr. Darcy's Diary
  • Eclipse